Monday, May 11, 2015

Surprising Results

Last time, I noted that I was going to change the subject of my study from simply exercising to analyzing the effect of physical activity on studying and knowledge retention.

So far, I think I was right to do that.

Seeing as it's near the end of April, and finals and AP tests are right around the corner, I've been testing the effects of rigorous and "slow" endurance based exercises to see which one works better. I can quickly conclude that heavy and highly draining "extreme" exercises are not good for studying afterwords, for me at least. As I heard on the radio, it takes about 7 minutes for the body to release the hormones that increase body and brain function, as well as spark the burning of adipose and glycogen. Technically, one could stop at this point and start studying, but if you want, you can actually go on for a full workout and there will still be enough "juice" in your system to buff your brain function during studying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, after a few AP tests and finals have passed, I can say for certain that this has helped to an almost frightening degree. I originally thought the body would have to grow used to this kind of activity before it started producing visible results, but that idea was thrown out the window after the first test I took merely a day or two after my change in study.

Conclusion: Oh my god yes, this works great. Do it. Seriously. It's kinda wierd how "on point" your body can be and how quickly you get used to this kind of schedule.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Its really interesting to see this benefit of exercise that it has had on your educational studies. I think this shows how necessary exercise is needed for all people! Not only did you get the physical benefits through exercise, but it seems that through your research it also helped you study for your AP and final test, which is definitely a added benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree physical exercise helps studying. Personally, running helps clear my mind and allows me to focus my thoughts on whatever task I may have ahead of me. I always try to exercise before studying or as a break from studying.

    ReplyDelete